The scaleup...

Discussion of the upcoming GPU accelerated rainbow table implementation
  • Ads

The scaleup...

Postby Bitweasil » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:37 pm

I've decided that I really need to scale things up.

The goal is a stack of systems in a colo that handles all the table gen, and more importantly helps out with distributed gen. I'm going to be making a tighter table format for nothing but distributed gen data.

Y'all will be able to help gen stuff soon! :) Significant contributors to generate will be able to get a discount on drives loaded with tables as well... (up to and including free, if you do enough work).

First on the list:

- 16 drive storage server. Will be ~25TB total in a colo facility for collecting bits and pieces.
- Put a generate server in a 4U case & throw it in the colo with 3x6970s.
Bitweasil
Site Admin

Re: The scaleup...

Postby Byte/\Puker » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:22 pm

Sounds great Bitweasil :D

I'm trying to get some 6970 or 6990 for a good price. My current "cracking" system has a 6970 and a 5770.
I think ATI cards are better for cracking and cheaper as Nvidia cards.

I'm interested in you 1-8 lenght tableset. What is the price for it? How long would it take to crack ~100 Hashes with a 6970 ?

Good luck in your OpenCL implementation ;)

PS: I think in a week I can do the next step in my C++ improving (Then I will learned the basics). What would you recommend? Don't say my english I'm still learning it :D

Best wishes Byte/\Puker
Byte/\Puker

Re: The scaleup...

Postby Bitweasil » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:07 am

Byte/\Puker wrote:I'm trying to get some 6970 or 6990 for a good price. My current "cracking" system has a 6970 and a 5770.

Watch out on the 6990s. I don't yet support them, and they are apparently very, VERY touchy to support (moreso than standard ATI cards).

Byte/\Puker wrote:I think ATI cards are better for cracking and cheaper as Nvidia cards.

Well, better is a matter of what they're better at. Hashes? Yes. Large numbers of hashes? Not so much. Remaining working with driver updates? Not nearly as good as nVidia.

Byte/\Puker wrote:I'm interested in you 1-8 lenght tableset. What is the price for it? How long would it take to crack ~100 Hashes with a 6970 ?

$500 shipped on a 2TB external drive for NTLM, 100 hashes is on the order of a few hours. Depends on disk speed, mostly - I'm working on some read ahead magic to help improve table search time, which is the bulk of the time right now.

Byte/\Puker wrote:Good luck in your OpenCL implementation ;)

Thanks... nobody implements the OpenCL spec. They just implement what they care about from it. It's always fun developing to an unknown environment - is my code faulty? Is the SDK faulty? Is the compiler faulty? I really don't like OpenCL...

Byte/\Puker wrote:PS: I think in a week I can do the next step in my C++ improving (Then I will learned the basics). What would you recommend? Don't say my english I'm still learning it :D

Find a project & start in on it. You'll learn as you go.
Bitweasil
Site Admin

Return to GPU Rainbow Tables