Multi-vendor GPUs

Discussion of the upcoming GPU accelerated rainbow table implementation
  • Ads

Multi-vendor GPUs

Postby frosty » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:09 am

Any tips for getting Multi-vendor GPU's working together with the Open-CL cracker?

I've installed my old 5970 into the 2nd PCI-E slot of my PC and kept my GTX 580 primary, I've installed the display drivers which apparently come with OpenCL support, I've just installed the display driver and not CCC I don't know if that makes a difference, I wouldn't have thought OpenCL relies on CCC being installed...

Anyway I've got monitors running successfully of both cards so windows is detecting both GPUs and able to use them OK...It's windows 8 X64 by the way, when I run the OpenCL cracker I just get GPU0: showing with a total speed of about 1550 M/sec when doing NTLM len6 searches, presumably GPU1 and GPU2 would also show if all 3 GPUs were detected correctly?

Any tips, or is this just flat out not possible, i realize windows 8 is probably untested at the moment but worth a shot :)
frosty

Re: Multi-vendor GPUs

Postby frosty » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:16 am

I've just run a DirectComputeBenchmark and it's not detecting OpenCL support for the 5900 cores, I guess something is wrong with the OpenCL install then.

*update*

I've gone back and installed the OpenCL SDK part of the driver package and that DirectComputeBenchmark is now showing support for the 5900 GPUs for OpenCL however Cryptohaze still only uses 1 GPU.

*update*

More tinkering....the -platform (-p) param works with 0 and 1, they both produced different crack speeds so I assumed it was using different GPUs, using MSIs afterburner to check core usage % it seems to flip between the GPUs, although according to Afterburner it's only using one of the 2 GPUs for the 5970.

I've used this DirectComputeBenchmark tool to tell me the OpenCL versions for both cards and it lists 1.1 and 1.2 so I'm guessing that it's because the drivers have mismatched OpenCL versions that's the problem?
frosty

Postby Bitweasil » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:29 am

frosty wrote:Any tips for getting Multi-vendor GPU's working together with the Open-CL cracker?

You're not so much asking about Multi-vendor (Sapphire 7970, Gigabyte 7970) as Multi-platform (either CUDA + OpenCL or OpenCL/nVidia + OpenCL/AMD).

Big difference. :)

Short answer: Right now, you can't. I don't support it. I will be in the future at some point, but even with the New-Multiforcer right now, I can't use both nVidia & AMD OpenCL at the same time. No technical reason why I can't, just... haven't added the nastyness to the command line to support it. :)

frosty wrote:More tinkering....the -platform (-p) param works with 0 and 1, they both produced different crack speeds so I assumed it was using different GPUs, using MSIs afterburner to check core usage % it seems to flip between the GPUs, although according to Afterburner it's only using one of the 2 GPUs for the 5970.

How many hashes are you trying? For the GRTCrack tool, for a variety of reasons, I will only split hashes across GPUs - not individual work. So if you are trying with one hash, it will only use one core. Try with 2 or more to use all your AMD GPUs. It still won't use the nVidia at the same time - sorry.

I've used this DirectComputeBenchmark tool to tell me the OpenCL versions for both cards and it lists 1.1 and 1.2 so I'm guessing that it's because the drivers have mismatched OpenCL versions that's the problem?

No, just that I don't spuport the use you request yet. Happy to add it at some point.
Bitweasil
Site Admin

Postby frosty » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:28 pm

Thanks for clarification. By Multi-vendor I mean't OpenCL on Nvidia + OpenCL on AMD, i didn't really expect CUDA to work on AMD but I thought that OpenCL across both might be possible.

I spent ages moving HDDs around to fit my 5970 back in along side my 580, ah well...at least now I can use all 3 monitors! I'm surprised just how well AMD and Nvidia play together in the same system, I could have sworn that not more than a few years ago that would have just not worked at all.
frosty

Return to GPU Rainbow Tables