Multiforcer internet connection

Discussion and support for the CUDA Multiforcers (Windows and Linux)
  • Ads

Multiforcer internet connection

Postby kevinkk5 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:02 pm

why does the CUDA-Multiforcer access the internet? are you collecting anonymous data without our knowledge ;-)
kevinkk5

Re: Multiforcer internet connection

Postby Bitweasil » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:35 am

kevinkk5 wrote:why does the CUDA-Multiforcer access the internet? are you collecting anonymous data without our knowledge ;-)

What's it accessing? And which version?

I've got some basic network functionality code in SVN, but I *think* I ifdef'd it out. That's for distributed multiforcer use. It requires a bunch of boost libs to compile, and I was having trouble packaging that up, so I theoretically left it out...

What behavior are you seeing?

//EDIT: If you pulled from SVN, enabled the network code in the header file, modified the makefile to include some boost libs, and passed it a command line parameter with a remote server, yes, it would access the internet. If you downloaded a binary version, or used the svn source as-is, it shouldn't be doing anything with network, as it doesn't even have network support compiled in...
Bitweasil
Site Admin

Postby kevinkk5 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:57 pm

it´s the version 0.72 with windows 64 bit. zone alarm reported an internet connection from the multiforcer
kevinkk5

Postby Bitweasil » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:43 am

kevinkk5 wrote:it´s the version 0.72 with windows 64 bit. zone alarm reported an internet connection from the multiforcer

0.72 for Windows has zero networking code anywhere in it. 0.72 shouldn't be touching the internet, shouldn't be doing *anything* related to the network. There's no "phone home" code or anything - it flat out has zero networking code of any sort in it.

What was it trying to access? And is it possible you've got other malware that could be jacking a running process?

The source for 0.72 is out there, and that's exactly what was compiled... so I have no idea. Further details would be welcome.
Bitweasil
Site Admin

Postby kevinkk5 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:52 pm

ok.. i had another look and it was surely the CUDA-Multiforcer but it has no target ip for the connection...
kevinkk5

Postby Bitweasil » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:28 pm

The CUDA-Multiforcer 0.72 has NO NETWORK CODE AT ALL in it...
Bitweasil
Site Admin

Postby kevinkk5 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:27 am

okok i believe you! it was just that i was surprised when zone alarm told it...
but as it had no target ip adress for the connection it was probably no connection as there is no code in it.
kevinkk5

Postby blazer » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:36 am

well if you downloaded the src and compiled or dled the binaries from here, i really wouldn't worry about it. However if you have dled it from elsewhere just make sure it hasn't been repacked/recompiled with some malicious code.
blazer

Postby kevinkk5 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:08 pm

no i do not have any worries. i was just wondering about it.
and i have it directly from here and it was already compiled
kevinkk5

Return to CUDA Multiforcers