Brute forcing on windows faster than mac?

Discussion and support for the CUDA Multiforcers (Windows and Linux)
  • Ads

Brute forcing on windows faster than mac?

Postby D3struction » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:25 am

Am thinking of installing windows7 on the MacBook on a second partion.. Q is since mac os uses up alot of gpu memory would bruteforcing be faster on tweaked down windows7(ie switching to classics and disabling aero and co) assuming that it is running with same hardware?
D3struction

Re: Brute forcing on windows faster than mac?

Postby Bitweasil » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:34 am

If anything, it will probably be slower. Windows Vista & 7 have some funky driver models that increase the overhead to launch a CUDA kernel by an order of magnitude or so.

With what I currently know, I'd use the following preference for brute forcing:
- Headless Linux
- Linux/X11
- Windows XP
- OS X
- Windows Vista/7

Is there a reason you're limited to your laptop? A good desktop GPU will *smoke* your laptop for brute forcing...
Bitweasil
Site Admin

Postby D3struction » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:12 am

I have an ati radion hd with 1gb mem on the desktop comp at home but I am going to university in another city so I am stuck with my laptop until I get home. I got the new 13" MacBook pro model for 1500eu so I assumed think that performance on that would be good but was wrong -.- ain't that good with only 75m/s steprate
D3struction

Postby Bitweasil » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:34 pm

D3struction wrote: I got the new 13" MacBook pro model for 1500eu so I assumed think that performance on that would be good but was wrong -.- ain't that good with only 75m/s steprate

Well, hopefully once I add CPU support that will go up some.

But I get 4.7B NTLM/sec on my dev system with 3 Fermi class GPUs.

My dev system also has over 1500W worth of installed PSU capacity.

The MBP has a ~75 WattHour battery.

Running *just* the GTX580, ~250W, gets you under 20 minutes of runtime. Your laptop gets 5-8h battery life.

These facts are all connected. ;-)
Bitweasil
Site Admin

Postby D3struction » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:57 pm

Running *just* the GTX580, ~250W, gets you under 20 minutes of runtime. Your laptop gets 5-8h battery life.
u suggesting to get a more powerful battery then... Hmmm that'd b an interesting idea,I should have gone for the 15'' with a better graphics card... Back to the 13'' always leave it plugged it in when bruteforcing so was looking for a way to increase the gpu performance but seems like apple limited user privileges severely jus like with the iTunes/i-Phone-pod-pad or maybe it's jus cuz am new to the mac os... Either way it sucks and jailbreak rules!
D3struction

Postby Bitweasil » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:09 pm

... you can have full local root on OS X with 'sudo' just like any other *nix. I don't understand your point.

My point was that laptops are inherently underpowered compared to desktops. There's no way around it - you simply can't power/cool a high end GPU in a laptop! My GTX580 pulls over 200W at load.

Best option? Just get a desktop or server to crack on. You can do it on a laptop, but it will always be slow compared to desktop/server hardware.
Bitweasil
Site Admin

Postby D3struction » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:31 pm

... you can have full local root on OS X with 'sudo' just like any other *nix. I don't understand your point.

Pardon me am a windows native havent used mac/linux up till bout 5 days ago.. Nway do realise the fact that a laptop can never be as strong as a desktop performance wise... It's jus the only option right now.. Too bad that the cmb doesn't support at radion graphics cards.. Tried barswf but it's unable to use the ati radeon hd 5450 in the desktop computer..tried renaming the ati files needed to amd but only CPU power is been used wrong forum for this anyway.. My point or rather Q is if you are planning to also include the ati gpu in the future
D3struction

Postby Bitweasil » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:54 pm

D3struction wrote:My point or rather Q is if you are planning to also include the ati gpu in the future

Sure, if somebody donates an ATI GPU or two my way. They'll eventually be supported with OpenCL.
Bitweasil
Site Admin

Return to CUDA Multiforcers