CUDA errors

Discussion and support for the CUDA Multiforcers (Windows and Linux)
  • Ads

CUDA errors

Postby frosty » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:20 am

I've always had the CUDA exes tell me that they don't work with my video card, I'm using the GTX580 with the latest forceware 306.97 drivers, that was never a problem before because I just used the OpenCL variants.

But I'm giving the Multiforcer a go now and just want to brute a basic LM hash and this is CUDA only so need to sort this out, any idea where is best to start troubleshooting?
frosty

Re: CUDA errors

Postby frosty » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:47 am

I thought I'd just add some more info here because there's probably not enough in the original post.

It's an MSI GTX580 TwinFrozr II card exactly, it's the Nvidia official Forceware driver set 306.97 with all components installed, I'm running x64 Windows 7 Ultimate.

The exact command I used was:

Cryptohaze-Multiforcer.exe -h LM -f hash.txt -c charsets/charsetall

The exact error is:

This program requires a CUDA-capable video card.
No cards found. Sorry. Exiting.
This is currently built against CUDA 3.2 and requires at least
the version 260 drivers to work. Try updating if you have a CUDA card.

I'm running the latest windows build from the website 1.31a, just running from a command prompt, tried running as admin and that doesn't help.

I've just realized that running GPU based stuff through remote desktop connections can sometimes mess up (for example nvidia control panel is locked out through RDC), although OpenCL works fine for rainbow tables. However I'm 99.9% sure I tested this at home directly on my PC and get the same error with CUDA, I will double check when i get home tonight.
frosty

Postby Bitweasil » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:17 pm

It won't work with remote desktop - driver/RDC limitation.

It's possible that the 306 driver is a CUDA5 driver, which I don't have my stuff linked against yet. If that's the case, you could either drop back to a 302 driver, or I can get around to a new release (which is coming soon anyway... hopefully this weekend).

The New-Multiforcer would be able to use the nVidia card as an OpenCL device, but the latest build is somewhat out of date for Windows.
Bitweasil
Site Admin

Postby frosty » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:16 pm

I do apologize, it was RDC that was the issue, strange because I could have sworn that CUDA wasn't working for the other exes when I tried them actually at my PC, maybe it was a mixture of driver updates and not using RDC that was the issue, but the 306.97s are working fine :)
frosty

Postby frosty » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:33 am

Might be worth mentioning that I left this running at home and RDC back into the box just fine, so I'm guessing for remote use you can probably just create a batch file to start the app, schedule it in for 1 minute time and then log out, then log back in afterwards :)
frosty

Postby Bitweasil » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:37 pm

Interesting.

I've not done much with CUDA/remote desktop. I mostly do my work on Linux.

Re the LM issue you mentioned in the channel, you're sure you fed it the LM hashes and not the NTLM side? I don't handle the combined password files (with NTLM/LM both) yet.
Bitweasil
Site Admin

Postby Picch » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:13 am

That sounds about right. Remote Desktop does not use discrete graphics (the reason why you can login via RDP without a video card.)

The timed batch file might work, or if this is on an internal network and you're brave, you can try enabling remote telnet access.
Picch

Postby Bitweasil » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:18 pm

Or just use linux...
Bitweasil
Site Admin

Postby frosty » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:21 pm

Hashing is done on my main gaming rig, I don't really want Linux on that :)

The RDC limitation in windows is understandable and manageable. I'm very tempted to write my own basic email or web front end so I can ping it hashes and have it work on them while I tinker with other stuff off site and email me back any results, that would be cool.

The LM issue I had, I dunno. I must have done something wrong somewhere. I'll probably avoid brute forcing these in future anyway as the 6+ hours it took was a bit too long for my liking when RT are available for other platforms.
frosty

Postby Bitweasil » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:04 pm

frosty wrote:The RDC limitation in windows is understandable and manageable. I'm very tempted to write my own basic email or web front end so I can ping it hashes and have it work on them while I tinker with other stuff off site and email me back any results, that would be cool.

If you do, I'd be happy to add it to the codebase. :)

The LM issue I had, I dunno. I must have done something wrong somewhere. I'll probably avoid brute forcing these in future anyway as the 6+ hours it took was a bit too long for my liking when RT are available for other platforms.

For small numbers of hashes, RTs are better. For large numbers of unsalted hashes, brute forcing is usually faster.
Bitweasil
Site Admin

Next

Return to CUDA Multiforcers